Well this is strange.
Historically, the Academy Awards nominations have been the last list of nominees to be announced during Awards Season, usually on the heels of all industry guild nominee announcements.
But not in 2023, apparently.
One day after the Oscar nominations for 2022 were revealed, the final industry guild — The Writers Guild of America — announced their finalists.
And they have a few differences from their Academy counterparts.
Of the ten total nominees between two categories, four differ between the two organizations. That isn’t unusual, and it’s often due to the WGA’s arcane rules that make many Oscar-eligible screenplays ineligible for the Writers Guild.
Consequently, Oscar nominees for Original Screenplay such as The Banshees of Inisherin and Triangle of Sadness (produced outside the United States) are not up for the WGA, and neither are the Academy’s Adapted nominees All Quiet on the Western Front and Living (for the same reason).
In their places: The Menu, the restaurant thriller starring Ralph Fiennes, and Jordan Peele‘s Nope are up for Original, plus Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and the Harvey Weinstein investigation journo-drama She Said are in the running for Adapted. The other six nominees, however, match up.
Here is the full list of 2022 WGA nominees. Trophies will be handed out at a ceremony held on Sunday March 5, 2023, one week before the Academy Awards.
WRITERS GUILD OF AMERICA NOMINEES
for 2022 Screenplays
- Everything Everywhere All At Once, Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
- The Fabelmans, Steven Spielberg & Tony Kushner
- The Menu, Seth Reiss & Will Tracy
- Nope, Jordan Peele
- TÁR, Todd Field
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Ryan Coogler & Joe Robert Cole (based on the Marvel Comics)
- Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, Rian Johnson (based on characters created by Rian Johnson)
- She Said, Rebecca Lenkiewicz (based on the New York Times investigation by Jodi Kantor, Megan Twohey and Rebecca Corbett and the book She Said by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey)
- Top Gun: Maverick, Ehren Kruger & Eric Warren Singer & Christopher McQuarrie (based on characters created by Jim Cash & Jack Epps, Jr.)
- Women Talking, Sarah Polley (based on the book by Miriam Toews)
- 2nd Chance, Ramin Bahrani
- Downfall: The Case Against Boeing, Mark Bailey & Keven McAlester
- Last Flight Home, Ondi Timoner
- Moonage Daydream, Brett Morgen
- ¡Viva Maestro!, Theodore Braun
Click on links below for other major Critics Group Awards and Guild Nominees that have been announced so far for the 2022 / 23 season:
The 95th Academy Award Nominations
Producers Guild of America Nominees
Directors Guild of America Nominees
Screen Actors Guild Nominees
Golden Globe Winners
Chicago Film Critics Association
Los Angeles Film Critics Association
American Film Institute Top 10 Films of 2022
National Board of Review
New York Film Critics Circle