The original Star Wars: Episode IX that writer/director Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World) had been hired to make before he was fired in 2017 has remained a mystery for years, including right up to the release of J. J. Abrams‘ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Pressed for details in various interviews, Trevorrow had graciously deferred to a “no comment” out of respect for the film that was about to be released, so as not to color anyone’s experience with it one way or the other.
Boy, has that changed in the last couple of weeks.
In a clearly orchestrated plan of anonymous dissemination, Trevorrow’s would-be alternative has become the worst-kept secret in the galaxy. (Trevorrow has not stated if he has been behind the leaks or not, but he has confirmed on his Twitter account that they are accurate.) The full story for Star Wars: Duel of the Fates is now known (read my breakdown of it here), and what it would look like was revealed in 20 images of Concept Art for that screenplay draft (see them here).
Trevorrow’s compelling vision has now been expanded even further with a another batch of 28 new Concept Art paintings for Duel of the Fates; they can be seen in the image gallery below. (All 48 images were originally posted online by Imgur.com here and here.)
Perhaps the most notable additions to this new collection of Concept Art is that it includes renderings from earlier drafts of the story than what was (and wasn’t) in the leaked script. Specifically:
- Three images related to a crash landing of the Millennium Falcon on an ice planet called Wavett. That whole sequence was eventually abandoned in the later (and presumably last) draft that has been leaked, read and debated.
- Originally, Kylo Ren’s storyline began on Moraband (as cited in his “surgery” painting), a distant planet on the outer rim of the galaxy. It was later shifted to Mustafar, the volcanic planet where Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader and built his own private citadel.
- Another image from a previous draft shows Finn working at a rock quarry as a prisoner of the First Order. In the leaked draft, Rose became the prisoner instead of Finn.
As with the previous gallery of 20 artistic renderings, the gallery below is organized in the order of the script’s narrative.
Click on any panel in the gallery below to see full size images of each rendering. Here are descriptions of each concept, which can also be read by clicking on each image.
- An orbital ring delivers ore to the First Order’s shipyard on Kuat, in the story’s opening sequence.
- A village of migrant workers on Kuat.
- A disguised BB-8 in the Kuat First Order shipyard.
- Poe, Rey, and Finn fight their way to the Eclipse Star Destroyer on Kuat.
- Rey’s team detonates the Kuat orbital ring and steals the Eclipse Star Destroyer.
- Wommels treat Kylo Ren’s life-threatening injuries, on the planet Moraband.
- General Leia at the Resistance base on Korilev.
- Kylo Ren receives a new helmet.
- The Millennium Falcon and its crew of Rey, Poe, Chewbacca and BB-8 are stranded on the ice planet Wavett after the Falcon has crash-landed there.
- The Falcon’s crew stays warm by a fire on the ice planet Wavett.
- Rey uses the Force to raise the crashed Millennium Falcon out from the lake ice on Wavett.
- Kylo Ren approaches the Sith Temple on Remnicore.
- Kylo Ren treks through the terrain of Remnicore toward the Sith Temple.
- The Millennium Falcon lands on a docking bay platform on the planet Bonaden.
- Razer Sail watercraft docked on the planet Bonadan.
- Poe and Chewbacca fight the Knights of Ren on the planet Bonadan.
- Finn is a prisoner at a First Order rock quarry on Coruscant.
- Kylo Ren inside a cave on Remnicore that is a vergence in the Force.
- Kylo Ren saps the life Force from a tree on Remnicore.
- A new Resistance battleship on Coruscant.
- The Millennium Falcon is chased by First Order TIE Fighters in the Battle of Coruscant.
- Rey arrives at the Temple Mountain of Mortis.
- BB-8 whirls through the Battle of Coruscant.
- Storm Troopers shoot at Resistance fighters during the Battle of Coruscant.
- Rey and Kylo Ren face off for a climatic lightsaber duel at the Temple of Mortis.
- The Force Ghost of Yoda appears (with other Jedi knights) to Rey in another dimension on an astral plane.
- BB-8 sees Rey arrive on the planet Modesta in the story’s conclusion.
- Rey arrives at the ranch on Modesta that will become the new training center for the Jedi Knights.
Click on any picture for larger image gallery