Of all the industry guilds, the Writers is the biggest wild card. Snubs aren’t only normal; they’re ingrained into the legalese of the org’s eligibility rules.
Due to arcane requirements in their “Minimum Basic Agreement”, the Writers Guild of America annually overlooks some of the season’s major Academy Award contenders. Those most often snubbed are films with screenplays written and financed by foreign talent or entities.
This year, however, is mostly different.
Looking across the ten nominees in the Original and Adapted Screenplay categories, most are likely destined for Oscar citation in the same fields. Even Mexican cotender Roma found a way to fit into the rules of the U.S. based guild.
There are, nevertheless, notable snubs, namely The Favourite and First Reformed, both in Original Screenplay. The Favourite was the classic case of a foreign production not fitting into WGA rules, but First Reformed is a real head-scratcher. It’s been the preferred choice of critics, and writer/director Paul Schrader is a legend (for his Scorsese screenplays in particular).
But hey, at least Bohemian Rhapsody wasn’t nominated.
Here is the full list of WGA nominees. Trophies will be handed out to winners on Sunday February 17, one week before the 91st Annual Academy Awards on February 24.
2018 WRITERS GUILD OF AMERICA NOMINEES
– Eighth Grade, by Bo Burnham
– Green Book, by Nick Vallelonga & Brian Currie & Peter Farrelly
– A Quiet Place, by Bryan Woods & Scott Beck and John Krasinski, Story by Bryan Woods & Scott Beck
– Roma, by Alfonso Cuarón
– Vice, by Adam McKay
– BlacKkKlansman, by Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee, Based on the book by Ron Stallworth
– Black Panther, by Ryan Coogler & Joe Robert Cole, Based on the Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
– Can You Ever Forgive Me?, by Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty, Based on the book by Lee Israel
– If Beale Street Could Talk, by Barry Jenkins, Based on the novel by James Baldwin
– A Star Is Born, by Eric Roth and Bradley Cooper & Will Fetters, Based on the 1954 screenplay by Moss Hart and the 1976 screenplay by John Gregory Dunne & Joan Didion and Frank Pierson, Based on a story by William Wellman and Robert Carson
– Bathtubs Over Broadway, by Ozzy Inguanzo & Dava Whisenant
– Fahrenheit 11/9, by Michael Moore
– Generation Wealth, by Lauren Greenfield
– In Search of Greatness, by Gabe Polsky
Click on links below for other Critics Group Awards and Guild Nominees that have been announced so far for the 2018 / 19 season:
Directors Guild of America Nominees
Golden Globe Winners
National Society of Film Critics
Producers Guild of America Nominees
Boston Society of Film Critics
Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association
Screen Actors Guild Nominees
Critics Choice Awards Nominees
San Francisco Film Critics Circle
Los Angeles Film Critics Association
Toronto Film Critics Association
Philadelphia Film Critics Circle
Chicago Film Critics Association
AFI Film Awards
Detroit Film Critics Society
Atlanta Film Critics Circle
New York Film Critics Circle
The National Board of Review