A Marvel movie with a major guild nomination? Bad Deadpool makes for a Good Deadpool with the Writers Guild of America.
It joins ten other movies in three film categories for the 69th Annual WGA Nominations. Could it be a harbinger of Academy love for the crass superhero movie, both in the screenplay category and possibly more broadly? Will an Oscar become Deadpool’s most prized possession? It certainly makes for an interesting and unexpected tea leaf during the otherwise increasingly predictable Awards season.
Interesting ripple: according to WGA rules, Oscar contender Moonlight lands in their Original Screenplay category. It’s based on a play, but one that was never actually produced. However, despite it never leaving the page until the film, the Academy will have it contend in the Adapted category if it’s nominated.
Here are the full list of nominees. Trophies will be handed out to winners two weeks before the Academy Awards, on Sunday February 19.
2017 WRITERS GUILD OF AMERICA NOMINEES
– Arrival, by Eric Heisserer (based on Ted Chiang’s short story “Story of Your Life”)
– Deadpool, by Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick (based on X-Men comic books)
– Fences, by August Wilson (based on his play)
– Hidden Figures, by Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi (based on Margot Lee Shetterly’s book)
– Nocturnal Animals, by Tom Ford (based on the novel “Tony and Susan” by Austin Wright)
– Author: The JT LeRoy Story, by Jeff Feuerzeig
– Command and Control, by Robert Kenner & Eric Schlosser
– Zero Days, by Alex Gibney
Click on links below for other Critics Group Awards and Guild Nominees that have been announced so far this season:
Academy Award Nominees
Golden Globe Winners
Screen Actors Guild Winners
Directors Guild of America Nominees
Producers Guild of America Winners
National Society of Film Critics
New York Film Critics Circle
Los Angeles Film Critics Association
Boston Society of Film Critics
Washington, D.C. Area Film Critics Association
The National Board of Review
Critics’ Choice Awards Winners