Episode 6 – THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL: Conversations On Cinema
First, we both admire the stones of the long-awaited Marvel blockbuster crossover Avengers: Infinity War, which just set a new opening weekend box office record with a haul of $258 million over three days (besting the previous mark of $247.9 million set by Star Wars: The Force Awakens).
Then for an avenger of a much darker sort, there’s Joaquin Phoenix as a deeply troubled vigilante hitman who rescues underage girls from the sex trade, in director Lynne Ramsey‘s latest You Were Never Really Here.
All that, plus I take a quick look at Lean On Pete, a more sobering and realistic portrayal of the “boy and his horse” archetype, from U.K. director Andrew Haigh (45 Years). Also, at the very end of the episode, we play a bonus clip of Haigh giving his pitch for a Marvel movie to Elvis Mitchell, host of KCRW’s “The Treatment“.
- Avengers: Infinity War, @ 01:02
- Lean On Pete, @ 30:55
- You Were Never Really Here, @ 36:33
- Outro, @ 01:00:15
- Bonus Clip, @ 01:01:16
– “Avengers Theme”, Alan Silvestri (Avengers: Infinity War)
– “Sandy’s Necklace”, Jonny Greenwood (You Were Never Really Here)
– “Dark Street”, Jonny Greenwood (You Were Never Really Here)